It is never okay for your partner to hurt you! A safety plan helps to think about ways to stay safe from your partner. There is no one plan that keeps all victims safe. Victims know how to stay safe from their partner better than anyone else does!
Remember these things when thinking about safety:
- Your partner may check your text messages, phone log, internet history, email, etc.
- Deleting some phone call logs, text messages, clearing internet history, having a code word for help with a friend or family, etc. might help safety.
- Be aware of where you are and think about ways to be able to get out safely if needed.
- Say or do what you can to try to calm the situation as much as you can.
- Everyday objects can hurt you….think about areas of your home that are safer for you or ways to make your home safer.
- If you cannot get away safely when you are being hurt…think about ways you can cover the most vital parts of your body.
- If you are able to safely do so it can be helpful to take note of when, where and how you were hurt…..this can be useful if you want to get any legal help.
- A Danger Assessment can help you understand how unsafe you are.
- Click here to find out more
- Info on this page was adapted from https://www.thehotline.org/plan-for-safety/